Russia

Tuesday 10 August 2010

First Attempt at a Wormery

Reading a post by Sean on "Off the Oche" persuaded me to finally get into having my own wormery. I'd bought a tub of lobworms for a (failed) perch attempt at Jubilee Lakes so I thought to begin with I'd try a smallish wormery to house the remaining worms. If this is a success, I'll progress to making a larger one.

At a car boot last weekend I bought a plastic kitchen cereal or similar container about 18" x 12" for the princely sum of 20p. I'd checked a few wormery sites via Google and followed these steps. This is the one I've used.

http://uktv.co.uk/home/item/aid/627063/displayVideo/Hi
Drill some air holes in the lid.


Put shredded newspaper, slightly wetted in the bottom followed by a layer of sand. Then a layer of well rotted farmyard manure and scatter the worms on this. Top with another layer of compost and then your kitchen veg waste, again slightly wetted. I chopped it all up rather than leaving the bits too big (except for a tangerine peel which you can see!). Then another layer of compost.


At the moment it's in the garage but will be transferred to a shaded greenhouse (posh name for a bit of green plastic and poles bought from Aldi!!)

Hope it's a success so I can bring my O -Level woodwork skills to bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment